PC1 sends traffic to PC2 after processing its host routing table. These nodes are in the same VLAN but they are connected to different switches. The basic process:
- The Ethernet frame leaves PC1 and is received by Switch 1.
- The Switch 1 SAT indicates that the destination is on the other end of the trunk line.
- Switch 1 uses the trunking protocol to modify the Ethernet frame by adding the VLAN id.
- The new frame leaves the trunk port on Switch1 and is received by Switch 2.
- Switch2 reads the VLAN id and strips off the trunking protocol.
- The original frame is forwarded to the destination (port 4) based on the SAT of Switch 2.